- On April 6, 2017
As planting season begins across the country, the American Seed Trade Association (ASTA) reminds farmers to follow five basic steps for stewardship of treated seed:
- Follow Directions: Follow directions on treated seed container label for handling, storage, planting and disposal practices.
- Eliminate Weeds: Eliminate flowering plants and weeds in and around the field prior to planting.
- Minimize Dust: Use advanced seed flow lubricants that minimize dust.
- BeeAware: At planting, be aware of honey bees and hives located near the field, and communicate with beekeeper when possible.
- Clean and Remove: Completely remove all treated seed left in containers and equipment used to handle harvested grain, and dispose of it properly. Keep all treated seed out of the commodity grain channels.
For more information, visit the newly redesigned seed-treatment-guide.com. The Guide to Seed Treatment Stewardship is a partnership between ASTA, Agricultural Retailers Association, American Farm Bureau Federation, American Soybean Association, CropLife America, National Corn Growers Association, and National Cotton Council.